[haiku] Re: Ruby no longer works!

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku ML <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 18:28:14 -0400

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM, Pete Goodeve
<pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As ruby is the basis of a lot of my day-to-day utilities, there's no
> way I can update until this is solved.  Ryan, aren't you using ruby
> a lot too?  I'll continue digging myself, but I'd appreciate some help.

I use Ruby for work but generally can't use Haiku for my work for
various reasons.

My efforts to get Ruby going in Haiku have been difficult and it has
been a while since I tried.

One thing I would suggest is that if you are going to try to build
your own you use the latest 1.9.3, p448 [1] or even try a stab at
compiling 2.0.0 [2].

Ruby 1.9.1 was sort of a bad release as I recall, and I'm not sure why
our optional package has stayed for so long at that version. Maybe
because trying to port newer versions was difficult?

The error you are getting sounds like something changed in the Haiku
pthread API side which the current Ruby optional package is
incompatible with.

When I start doing Haiku development again (which honestly may not be
anytime soon with my current schedule), I may try porting the newer
Ruby releases, but that might be months away.

If anyone else is motivated, it would be really nice to have newer
Ruby releases ported and packaged up, ready to use in the new package
managed Haiku :-D

1. http://cache.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.9/ruby-1.9.3-p448.tar.gz
2. http://cache.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/2.0/ruby-2.0.0-p247.tar.gz

--