[openbeos] Re: Robustness

  • From: "Bruno G. Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 13:50:44 EST (-0300)

>  Your vision is a little too simplist, my experience showed me that
> when your harddisk start to 'die', you simply don't know it.
> It's only when you start your computer a day, that you see
> that something goes really really wrong, so, the filesystem
> SHOULD be robust enough to allow you to mount and read (and save
> somewhere) your data, and not just say "Hey guy, your harddisk is
> dead, use
> the the tool XYZ (which is often in the dead partition :) )".

Sorry, but this is not true. A filesystem is required to guarantee data
integrity, of course, but there is nothing really it can do to prevent
corruption by a hardware failure. What if your HD explodes? That's why
you should backup your data, this is the only way to be sure it will
survive a hardware failure.

> Often just 1 or 2 files are corrupted, but even if 98% of the files
> are
> dead, the FS must give you read access to the 2% still Ok.

It is not that easy. All your file data may be there but what if your
partition table has been lost? It is impossible for the fs to determine
what do do and what data is corrupt or not.

>  No need to use a dedicated tool for recovery, the FS has to be
> secure enough to mount with read only (or write for excellent FS)
> access corrupted harddisk, if not, it's just another "MS FS".

Heh... Right. I won't even comment on this one.

-Bruno

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Kerr's Three Rules for a Successful College:
        Have plenty of football for the alumni, sex for the students,
and parking for the faculty.