[openbeos] Re: Robustness

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 18:32:02 CEST (+0200)

> > I would prefer a car that won't let me use it when it's clear that
> > it
> > will not survive the next tour
> And when you are driving, if something failed (like the lights :) )
> do you preffer that the car stops and just says "change the light to
> continue"? :)

Well, a broken light would be excusable, although I don't have a good
equivalent in a file system :-))

> What's more, keep in mind that when something goes wrong on an
> harddisk
> it's often localy. It's amazing to see that BFS don't make a backup
> periodically of the superblock, it's a precious structure.

It's a live structure, so you'd have to periodically update it - not
that you couldn't use an older copy, too. And I really don't know why
BFS doesn't do this - after my super blocks got overwritten, I have
hoped it had done it.
One possible reason could be that if the super block is corrupt, there
is likely to be other failures, too, so why bothering? (from a file
system perspective).

Adios...
   Axel.