[haiku] Re: Reverse engineering BEIDE .proj format

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:37:43 -0400

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:44 AM,  <hudsonco1@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Has anyone considered reverse engineering the BEIDE .proj file format? It
> would be useful to add ability to read original BeOS projects with modern
> tools like Paladin, Pe and such.

I have considered this, though I haven't started on it at all, beyond
doing a quick hex dump. The proj format seems similar to the pkg
format which I helped reverse engineer, so the knowledge from that
might be helpful. As with the pkg format there are probably only a few
key areas of the proj format which should be focused on to get most of
what is useful out of it. Such as the list of source files, the list
of libraries to link against, header locations, etc.

I'd recommend someone take a look at my old email about the pkg file
format [1], and then play around with making a simple prototype in
Ruby or Python to try to get the most important parts out of a proj
file. BeIDE could be used to create sample files with known
configurations which might make it easier to decode the format. I did
this with PackageBuilder and the pkg file format.

1. //www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Package-Format-Notes-and-Test-Files

--
Regards,
Ryan