[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 16:53:33 -0600

> On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 19:18 -0700, Urias McCullough wrote:
> > I think a set of optional packages makes a lot of sense - perhaps one
> > for the locale changes, input method, and fonts, etc.
> >
> > I think any extra software should go through a similar voting process
> > as the official Haiku Alpha software did before it can be included by
> > default.
>
> Technically, everything is feasible. In practical terms, I don't know,
> as the JPBE guys have reacted very reluctantly to suggestions that
> adoption of contributions would be subject to review.
>
> Jorge/aka Koki

Yes, optional packages are one way of doing this but being subject to
voting process (selection) will not make some happy.

That's why you're going to get distros.

What if you vote to not include certain Japanese programs as optional
packages?

Doing distro gives greater control to JPBE and others to include
whatever they want.

Later on, package manager and language selection will eliminate the need
for most distros out there.

The less important optional packages should be downloaded &
installed through Installer instead of being part of the Haiku image.

This allows providing more optional packages but some in image
and others by way of download.

Regards,

Lots of fantastic Windows 7 offers, in one convenient place. Get the perfect
deal for you now.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9691633