[haiku] Re: Rethinking the Haiku Distro Guidelines

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 19:34:24 -0700

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 20:00 -0500, Dane Scott - TuneTracker Systems
wrote:
> Thanks, Jorge.  I had read that over but wasn't sure about the meaning of a
> few points.  If there isn't an official person to ask, maybe I can just post
> them here and see if I can clear them up.   This isn't to challenge any of
> it!  Just want to be sure I follow the spirit of what's intended.  :-)
>
> - " The trademark "Haiku" may not be used in your distribution's name.
> Choose a distinctive name in order to avoid potential confusion with the
> official Haiku distribution."
>
> Not clear on what is meant by "the trademark, Haiku."  The word itself can't
> be used?  Where can it not be used?  In the name of the distribution?

It means what it says, that is, that the "Haiku" trademark cannot be
used in the name of a Haiku distribution.

> - " You are not allowed to use the official Haiku trademarks or logo."
>
> This refers to Haiku trademarks, plural.  Not sure what that means, either.
> And when it says the logo can't be used, I like to understand that better.
> What can the logo not be used for?

Both the Haiku word and the Haiku logo are trademarks, ergo the plural.

> - "You may use the official Haiku icons and artwork."
>
> I get it about the icons.  Not sure what artwork this is referencing.

As I understand it, this refers to the icon set and the Deskbar leave.

> Also, are these instructions for people who want to distribute a variant of
> Haiku, with changes made to it?  Do they apply to someone who would just be
> distributing Haiku in an unaltered way?  My guess is no, but I want to make
> sure.

If what you want to do is help distribute Haiku as is, contact Urias to
get your mirror added to the the Haiku website.

If what you are looking at is using Haiku and the Haiku brand in a
commercial product, IMO this should require a separate license that
would have to be discussed on a case by case basis. But since the
current distro guidelines do not cover such scenarios yet, my
understanding is that at least for now you would only be bound to what
the existing guidelines stipulate (although that could change in the
future).

BTW, I am not talking in any official capacity, so take my words with a
grain of salt. :)

Regards,

Jorge/aka Koki