[openbeos] Re: Resources: Call for Testing

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 23:20:56 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 6 May 2002, François Revol wrote:

> Nice...
> If I'm not mistaken, you don't even want to know the file format you put
> resources in, since it begins by the _end_.
> you must _not_ take care of the actual file content.
> .rsrc files are just 0 length files with resources at the end.
> Tell me if I'm wrong.

You are. ;-)

... at least partially. The resources do indeed reside at the end of the
file, but nevertheless it is necessary to find out, where they begin.
(For resource files that is not a big deal: in x86 resource files that is
directly after the magic number, in PPC resource files after a little
header.)
However, there is nothing like a back offset at the end that points to
the beginning. So for executables you have to find out, where the actual
executable ends and the resources start... No way around it. At least I
don't see any.

CU, Ingo

PS: Upon request (hey Jonas ;-) I added a PDF version of the
    documentation to the archive.