[haiku] Re: Reset Haiku settings

  • From: "kirilla@xxxxxxxxxx" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:23:49 +0200
On 21 apr 2012, at 04:48, David Rawson Couzelis wrote:

> Haiku runs very well on my computer, but for some strange reason, it
> stopped working today. Haiku locked up when loading the desktop / video
> card.
>
> It's strange because, it was working perfectly last night, and I've
> never made any changes to /boot/system or /boot/common.

Was the non-booting a one-off thing or does it persistently not boot any more?

> Does Haiku itself make changes or save settings anywhere in
> /boot/system?

Haiku does not change settings in /boot/system AFAIK. There are settings
below both home/config and /boot/common/. It's not unthinkable that corrupt
data in settings files (e.g. app_server- and kernelrelated ones) can render a
system unbootable (or simply fail to start e.g Tracker, etc)  but I can't say
how
likely that is in Haiku. (With Haiku using individual settings files it should
in theory degrade more gracefully than e.g. a system where a single registry
goes corrupt. A registry in Haiku would be neat, but also a single point of
failure.)

> Is there a simple way to reset it to the way it was when I
> first installed it? If I can, then I assume it would boot correctly
> again... Should I delete my /boot/home/config directory too?

You seem experienced, but here's some very general advice anyway:

A backup/reinstall is likely the most expedient fix, but it could be
interesting to poke at the wound. The syslog of the failed boot
could shine some light on the issue.

You might want to try the safe mode options in the boot loader:
http://haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/bootloader.html

You should probably boot from some alternative media (CD, USB stick) and
- run checkfs on the non-working partition
- search the syslog for relevant errors
- take backups of any important data, just in case.

Always reformat before reinstalling when there are doubts about the
filesystem being in a sound state.

In the face of unexplainable disk/boot failures, or KDLs and app crashes, one
might want to run some diagnostic tools on harddisk(s) and RAM to see that
there are no bad sectors/memory addresses.

/Jonas