[haiku] Re: Res: New Haiku flier - Draft 1 for review

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:22:47 -0800

Howdy,

Draft 2 of new flier now available for review:

http://haikuzone.net/files/temp/2009-02-29_haiku-flyer_2010_letter_draft-2.png

Please review draft 2 and see if you find any problems and/or stuff that you would like to see changed/removed/added. Now, a couple of observations...

- To raise awareness about the Haiku store and encourage people to buy the Haiku CD, I added a URL to the Haiku store in the upper left box. I would rather use a URL under one of our domains, though. Perhaps we can add a short URL on the website as an alias to the store on Cafepress (i.e., www.haiku-os.org/store)?

- I have replaced the old screenshot with one that Stippi sent me. This one is better, but I am not happy with the way the reflection looks. Will try to improve that a bit later.

- One thing that has been going around my head is a "Proud mentor for the Google Summer of Code 2007, 2008 and 2009" blurb, perhaps with a link to "www.haiku-os.org/community/gsoc". I think I could squeeze that in to the right of LEARN MORE ABOUT HAIKU (although it may get a bit too crammed). What do you guys think?

Here are some comments on the feedback for draft 1:

Michael Oliveira wrote:
I vote for change the screenshot.. with firefox and launcher running

Do you like the screenshot in the new draft? :)

Humdinger wrote:
Two suggestions: In the top blurb, "...computing experience that is elegant and fast,
yet very powerful." sounds better to me. The simple<-

I went with the version of the intro from the website; I like it because it is shorter and more straightforward.

The 3rd bullet fits better to the rest as "Rich OO API for faster development"
IMO.

Indeed. Changed in draft 2.

Stephan Assmus wrote:
I have only two small complaints: The big round corner looks self-made and is somewhat imprecise, you can probably fix that up by zooming in very far and making sure that the Beziér control tangents point straight down and straight to the left (the curve extends outward a little too far).

Rounded corner is now fixed.

And my second nitpicking is about the shadows of the icons. If this is
impossible to fix, no big deal at all, but they are not semi-transparent.

I have now given the icons shadows a 50% transparency, but I am not sure whether that's the correct amount or not. Can you be more specific?

This next suggestion is just food for thought...

<snip>

I agree, but I struggle to come up with a phrase that is concise enough and still convey the idea. Would something like "Unified design vision for the whole OS" convey the message?

Axel Dörfler wrote:
- it's just BFS, not OpenBFS (it's still the same thing, just a
reimplementation, ie. there is no OpenAppServer, or OpenJPEGTranslator either);
I would just write file system, though
You are right: I went with just file system.

- the first point in the bullet list should probably something be like "designed for the desktop". At least I miss that emphasis a bit (there is only personal computing mentioned in the paragraph above that comes close)

Added "Focus on personal computing".

PulkoMandy wrote:
This flyer is nice, but I'm not sure the dark background will render well after
printing ?

We are doing offset printing, so there should be no problems (going by a PANTONE formula guide that I have here for the colors).

Daniel Devine wrote:
I noticed that it says "Inspired by the BeOS" where it should be "Inspired by BeOS". Alternatively If "BeOS" was unabbreviated then "Inspired by the Be Operating System" would be correct.

To me, "the BeOS" comes naturally; but I can see how it can be sound a bit clunky. :) So, in the new draft, I have changed the intro to "Inspired by the Be Operating System" instead.

Matt Madia wrote:
For the nightly dev builds, could the link simply be 'www.haiku-files.org'?
nightly/ exists as an empty directory.

I changed the URL to "www.haiku-files.org" for now, but I think it would make sense to have some themed content in www.haiku-files.org/nightly (even if it's the same "Nightly images" content from the homepage).

If it matters, www.haiku-os.org/screenshots is an alias of
http://www.haiku-os.org/slideshows/haiku-tour

That gets too long, so I would rather keep the shorter URL. The generic alias also has the advantage that we can change the actual target destination in the future if we want or need to.

would "Meet the community" sound better as "Meet the people" ?

I like it! Changed in draft 2.

Did you try having the 'www.haiku-os.org' underneath the 2-d barcode?

New barcode for "www.haiku-os.org" added in draft 2. Please test.

would the "CD ISO/VM (stable)" be better as "Official release (stable)" ?

Ingo Weinhold wrote:
I'm just opposed to calling the alpha release "stable". Not only does that contradict
what "alpha" usually means, it is also simply not true.

You are absolutely right. I changed this to "Official release (ISO/VM)" in draft 2.

Cheers,

--
Jorge/aka Koki
Website: http://haikuzone.net