[haiku] Re: Request: Graphic for R1A2 CD

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 01:08:29 -0400

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 22:06, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> PulkoMandy wrote:
>>
>> Well, development milestones are made to try things out, that may include
>> the CD artwork. It will be nice to have one that we can use for stable
>> releases and have them share the same look (eventually changing things like
>> the background color in order to not mix them up).
>> So, better change the design now than when we sell millions of CDs :)

I agree, plus with everything else in the project there is no
guarantee that what is used today will remain the same 1 year from
now.

> So, if someone else comes up with a different approach that everybody likes
> and does the work to make it happen, that's all well with me. Moreover, if
> the project decides that being playful is more important than building a
> brand (point well taken Niels), and would thus prefer to encourage different
> designs for every milestone/release/item, that's fine too. Just don't expect
> that to come from me, though. :)

To note, assuming our CafePress is upgraded to a premium shop, which
is a discussion that I've pushed onto the BOD earlier this week, we'd
be able to have multiple items in the shop. This'd allow us to sell R1
Alpha 2 with different printed labels -- not saying that this will or
will not occur, just that it's a possibility.

Frankly, I only expect people who know what Haiku is to be purchasing
the CD. So at this time having "the brand" on a CD may not be as
important, as lets say the flyer or website where people who are less
familiar with the project are exposed to it. And, if having two or
more differently labeled cd's helps to improve sales, then I'm
definitely interested -- more sales, more money, hopefully another
development contract, a quicker release cycle.

--mmadia