[openbeos] Re: Remote Desktop

  • From: Adi Oanca <e2joseph@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 10:37:40 +0200

Hi!

Jared Eldredge wrote:

... but remote connections via telnet require something other than _just_ a GUI browser option. perhaps i over-use telnet?

Maybe :-)
I think one thing which would be great to have is remote desktop capability - but that is something for R2.
Yup! For R2.

maybe even a BeOS specific analog to remote sessions of X?
I want to include this feature in R2's app_server, but, ATM I am not documented on how this could be done.
Have a couple ideas (none of them involve copying off-screen images to the remote desktop!), yet I don't know exactly how to do that. A few days ago I saw that the newest KDE version implemented the RDP Microsoft uses. Maybe they had a good reason - have to look at it.

seems to me that the app server gets told to draw some pretty basic stuff most of the time (not to under sell the app_server) and these msg's could be sent across a network much easier than chunks of a screen capture.
Yup! This seems to be the main idea. However things are a little more complicated than they appear.

or should i just go email GlassElevator and see what stirs when this is poured into the mix? :)
I was going to that by myself, but I have to look at RDP/VNC/X first.

Adi.