[haiku] Re: Release coordinator

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 11:08:13 +0200

Hi Philippe,

2009/3/28 Philippe Saint-Pierre <stpere@xxxxxxxxx>:
> My name is Philippe Saint-Pierre, you might know me as stpere on IRC.
> I'm a web programmer (PHP, Javascript, Mysql, Postgresql - some would
> say there is no such thing as a PHP coder, but still.. :-) ) but also
> C/C++ and Delphi.  I contributed to Haiku last year, with a few
> patches affecting/fixing some preflets.
>
> Ok, more to the point, I saw there was a task set to recruit a release
> coordinator and I must admit it's tempting me.  But I have a question
> to ask :
>
>  I can dedicate around 4 to 5 hours a week to this task, would that
> be enough?  Of course, I can spend more time as needed when the
> release comes closer, etc... (I'm a freelancer, so I have some freedom
> on my schedule - to a certain extent)
>
> So, if you think that would be enough for this task, consider that I
> apply for this task!

I would suggest starting with a brainstorm on what you think needs to
be done for the alpha 1. I am referring to non-coding issues such as
what needs to be done on the website, how are we going to get bandwith
and how will we be using that efficiently (tip: we have both sf.net
and berlios), what needs to be done in the area of marketing. Also
think a little more about procedures, who is responsible for approving
the final image, who is responsible for keeping people on a schedule,
and so on.

I am sure that if you work with this community, you will be able to
get a descent release plan.

Finally, there is no such thing as an official blessing in this
project. I would suggest you just start setting things up the way you
think you should, and start contacting the relevant people.

Anyway, I am going to unsubscribe from this list now, so if you have
any questions for me, please contact me privately.

N.