[openbeos] Regarding the input_server

  • From: "Koki" <koki@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue,15 Jun 2004 09:16:27 Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page

Hi guys,

I have a few questions about the input methods coming from a Japanese
dev that may be interested in helping out with the team. Here is a
rough translation of what he is asking.

1) In BeOS R5 (and Zeta, for that matter) you switch input methods
(like, between the default and Japanese) by pressing Alt+Space. What
module is actually doing the switch? Is it the input_server or is it
keyboard? Somewhere else?

2) How is the key down information being passed on?

3) Can you detail the functions of input_server, keyboard and
virtual_keyboard?

4) Can you explain why virtual_keyboard is necessary?

and last but not least...

5) If necessary to support additional input methods (like Japanese), I
would like to create an input_server. Can you tell me what 10% is
currently missing from the OBOS input_server? (I believe he is refering
to the current status of development, but not sure where he gets the
10% from...).

I hope this makes some sense. If not let me know and I will try to
clarify.

Now one question from me: will OBOS be compatible with input methods
developed for R5?

I look forward to your enlightning replies. Cheers!

Koki
koki@xxxxxxxx