[openbeos] Re: Recipes for community happiness? Was: Re: FalterCon 2007 Permissions - Official Response

  • From: "A KOWALCZYK" <a.kowalczyk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:47:41 +0000

Hello,

From: "Dennis d'Entremont" <dennis.dentremont@xxxxxxxxx>
To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [openbeos] Re: Recipes for community happiness? Was: Re: FalterCon 2007 Permissions - Official Response
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 18:05:39 -0300

On 8/5/07, Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

Just from reading some of the posts here on the mailing list it is a bit
overwhelming and even scary at times. I'm not going to take any sides on the CD or the Admin Team's decisions but I do want to say I think there is a lot
of badgering and negativity flying around on here. For someone like me, all
of this is kind of a put off. It certainly doesn't make a newb like me feel
very welcome or encouraged to contribute.

Try belonging to an AROS, AmigaOS, or MorphOS mailing list. They make the type of discussions that go on in here look pretty tame, although I do see a trend that reminds me of how the Amiga community was about five years ago and they've been in a downward spiral since the demise of Commodore.

The advice that I can give is that it is important to have a clear defined direction without hidden agendas. The goals and objectives need to be reviewed from time to time and it's okay to change them when it encourages forward movement. Don't sweat the small stuff and a bad decision is better than no decision at all.

The biggest advantage the Haiku community has at the moment is its' size. If things are starting to crumble now, then I fully expect that in five years, the Haiku community is going to be made up with zealots, fanatics, etc. just like the present-day Amiga community.

Haiku has come very far in a very short timeframe and deserves to move forward in a respectful, professional manner.

Sincerely,

Adam Kowalczyk