[haiku] Reaching out to the Haiku testers concerning Haiku B1 and beyond

  • From: Dennis Catt <dcatt.haiku@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2016 16:32:34 -0400

Haiku testers,

Hello, I recently attempted a pulse check on the now defunct haiku-qa mailing list (one I inspired into existence years ago) to see if any active Haiku testers were out there in the weeds somewhere.

I was wanting to chat about maybe strategize on a testing effort concerning Haiku B1 and collaborate with the Haiku core developers on possible RCs chosen from the nightly builds to target for beta related testing. So I figured I'd reach out to any Haiku testers interested in such an endeavor.

Years ago I attempted to establish a formal QA testing process for the Haiku project, but quickly realized that it may not be in the best interest of those involved in the project since it could might stand in the way of how things have been run since the inception of the project, so I quietly retreated on the idea. I do QA testing professionally and it's hard enough to solidify a formal QA process for organizations that actually want it as part of their overall software development process and so figured it would be even harder for a project like Haiku.

So I gave this topic a lot of thought and figured there is no need to really make the QA testing process overly formal other than coming to terms on a valuable yet fun approach and gather a team of testers to get behind it. We'd also want to get sign off from the Haiku core developers who may have their own ideas on what QA testing may provide for the project.

Obviously the main goal is to really help the Haiku core developers make the best desktop operating system the world will ever know :-)

-DCatt