[openbeos] Re: Re[2]: OpenBeOS in competition with BeOS

  • From: "Richard S. Lewine" <rslewine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:08:29 +0000

I'm reading all these emails that are agonizing over how to begin, and what to
call
openbeos.

For the most part, the people on this list are technical people first, not
business people.
It's natural that they want an oppotunity to create a "better BeOS". Coding,
building,
testing are their passions, and I again say "Hooray" for without techies, there
is nothing. I
even commited to doing testing, (whatever that means for an OS) myself.

There are a few of us on the list who are more entrepreneurial and business
oriented.
Agian I say Hooray, for without someone selling and marketing, there's no one
to use the
"better BeOS." Just using word of mouth in the technical community at large
won't
generate critical mass for perpetuatjion of the product.

While I don't really know Helmar, he appears to be an unusual blend of both.
Therefore,
his exposure has been to both environments and his counsel is grounded in both
experiences. To argue the merits of open or closed BeOS, is to argue whether to
eat or
drink; both are required.

If just this group of developers focused on creating *BeOS applications*, the
likes of
Productive and Personal Assistant, BeOS as is would enjoy an unimaginable
growth spurt
in users. . .because they wouldn't need to boot to windows for their
acccounting
functions, human resource functions, fax drivers, WYSIWYG web building, and
myriad
other specialized apps, etc. The magnitude of the combined programming
knowledge of
this assembled group probably is not equalled in very many places. If it is
focused on
both the technical and commercial issues of breathing life back into BeOS, even
as it is,
the results would be breathtaking.

I for one, as a business user, am ready to have my breath taken away!

Rich