[openbeos] Re: Re[2]: OpenBeOS in competition with BeOS

  • From: guillaume.maillard@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:16:35 +0200

  Helmar,

I full agree with you but it's nothing nore than a dream...
<dream>
Imagine something:
You gain for free the right to develop BeOS under a restricted license...
IF 10000 BeOS are ready to buy you new BeOS 2002 at 50$, you will
gain if you are lucky 20$ per copy,  then 200 000 $ !!
First, I'm not sure that 10000 user are ready to pay ( For Eden, only 4 people
paid 5$... ;) )  and next year, who will buy you OS??
200 000$ is less than what  my company pays for 2 engineers like me...
how do you pay advertising, charges, hardware...?
To be more realistic, you can earn 50 000$ and will need 100 coders who
can't survive with 500$.  Problably, you will say that they will be developers
who work on theyr spare time,  then you will need 1000 developers...
who will work for 50$ when Palm will earn millions with their work.
</dream>

In such conditions, I preffer work gratis and to know that my work can help
someone somewhere  who downloads my work for free and like it.

Guillaume