[openbeos] Re: Re : FS attributes

  • From: "Bill Barrett" <bbmotors@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 19:48:49 -0800

I said : "Speaking of attributes, maybe BFS or tracker can be improved to where
you
don't need to "copy" existing files to have their attributes work when new
indexes are
created."

You replied: "I don't really follow what you are saying. I think you mean that
if you have
file foo,with an unindexed attribute bar, then you create an index on bar's,
that you have
to make a new copy of foo (foo2) so that it shows up indexed. Is that correct?"

That is exactly the way it currently works. If you create a new attribute
index, all
existing files still won't be searchable unless they are physically copied.
This can be quite
inconvenient when you have 12 gigs of files to deal with. I found a program on
BeBits
called "reindexer" which takes care of this. I'm not smart enough to know if
the indexes
are handled by Tracker or something else. I just feel since we're looking
forward, this
could be an improvement to fix something that is not optimal as this process
should be
invisible to the user.

LeftTurn