[haiku] Re: [RFC] Getting rid of the tabs in Terminal, using Stack & Tile instead

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 11:40:52 +0200

Hi,

Am 26.07.2015 um 13:25 schrieb Mark Hellegers:

Currently, the Terminal app's code is a really big mess. Part of the
reason for this is because of the way the tabs/sessions are managed.
Cleaning it up is possible, but I think the better solution would be
to scrap the BTabView altogether and switch to using Stack & Tile for
the tabs instead. That way, when you hit "New tab" in the menu, it
opens a new window and attaches it to the current stack.

Thoughts? Comments? Objections?

Besides the code being a mess, what exactly is the problem with it that
you are trying to solve?
As you are all volunteers I cannot tell you to not work on it, but it
would seem to me that there are more pressing problems that need fixing
than this. I try to develop applications for BeOS/Haiku but Haiku seems
to be slowly deteriorating into an unstable mess lately, so I'm less
and less enthusiastic about writing code every month.
The suggestion to rewrite parts of Terminal can in my eyes only mean
more frustration with buggy behaviour when the changes are merged in.

It's your own free time of course, but I would suggest to leave it
alone if there are no serious problems with it.

to be honest, I feel the same. Especially now that Ingo has cast some serious doubt on the assertion that the "code is a really big mess".

Also perhaps consider this: When you work on something else outside of your contract time, you focus your brain on other problems. I don't know about you, but in my experience as software developer, my brain keeps working long after I am away from my keyboard. Often I develop new ideas to try, new approaches to a solution before I sit in front of the computer again and then I can continue with energy. Working on two completely different projects at the same time makes this process much less efficient. Sometimes it even takes time when I do sit in front of my computer and are supposed to keep working, before I manage to tune my brain into the other project again. To be most efficient, you should not ignore how the brain works. And Haiku Kitchen is very important.

Best regards,
-Stephan