[haiku] Re: [RFC] Getting rid of the tabs in Terminal, using Stack & Tile instead

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 10:52:08 +0200

Am 25.07.2015 um 23:47 schrieb gus knight:

Currently, the Terminal app's code is a really big mess. Part of the
reason for this is because of the way the tabs/sessions are managed.
Cleaning it up is possible, but I think the better solution would be
to scrap the BTabView altogether and switch to using Stack & Tile for
the tabs instead. That way, when you hit "New tab" in the menu, it
opens a new window and attaches it to the current stack.

I think the window tabs are not ready for this yet; they have too few features.
The leading "Terminal: " name alone makes the feature unfeasible as of now IMO. The only real advantage would be to make the tabs accessible from Deskbar.

But there is a middle way: just add a "New stacked window" menu item, that does just that, and keep the tab feature alive for now -- it's not really visible unless you use it anyway.

Bye,
Axel.