[openbeos] Re: RAD, Visual IDE, dev tools

  • From: Mathew Hounsell <mat.geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 00:01:29 -0800 (PST)

We use Rational ClearCase at work, it integrates itself into the file
system. It stores the files, and you access them from a view of the version
tree. The view is specified by file names and branch name and version. You
can have special rules like LATEST for a branch and CHECKEDOUT for the files
you have intend to modify.

It might be worth considering the ideas and the possibility of a file system
plug in.

>  Subject: [openbeos] Re: RAD, Visual IDE, dev tools
>  Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:47:25 +0100 (MET)
>  From: philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx
>

>  Hi people,
>
>  > Integration into BeIDE would be nice and those of you who use Perforce
>  > might be interested to know that there is P4Companion which is a
>  > BeIDE and Tracker Add-On and allows you to check in/out etc etc from
>  > the Add-Ons menu of BeIDE.
>  > URL is http://www.bebits.com/app/1626
>
>  Version control systems *integration* would be great, yep, but, please,
don't forget that a CVS/RCS/Perforce/whatever_version_control_system could
be usefull also for web developers, documentation writers, etc.

>  Plus, not all developers use BeIDE, as it's often far easer and openess
to share a makefile. Many open source projects prefer makefiles, even
BeOS-related one (see OpenTracker, Mail Daemon Replacement or BeZilla for
most known ones).

>  AFAIK, OpenBeOS (recommand/would/require?) use makefiles, nor BeIDE
project files...

>  With this in mind, I think that such tool should be designed modular from
scratch. These modules will then be called by a generic, stand-alone,
graphical frontend from it's main browsing window, allowing non-BeIDE users
to use versioning, but these same modules could also be called from a BeIDE
add-on or Tracker add-on...

>  On Tracker side, if addons could be contextual, the Tracker window itself
could become the graphical frontend, with status, tag name, checkout date,
etc, thanks to BFS attributes (sorry for FAT32 hosted source code...)...

>  For graphical frontends, http://www.cvsgui.org/ and the KDE Cervisia, at
http://cervisia.sourceforge.net/ (i like their browser and log window) seems
to be good starting points.

>  On a side note, we'll *also* need a great graphical merge tool!
>  Look at xxdiff (http://xxdiff.sourceforge.net/) for what I mean...
>  Any version control system frontend / addons would need it too, in
fact...

>  Okay, enough of my thoughts now.
>  Philippe.

>  End of openbeos Digest V1 #91

 Get 100% private, FREE email for life from Excite Australia
 Visit http://inbox.excite.com.au/