[openbeos] Re: R2 on our machines before R1

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:15:36 CEST (+0200)

"John M. Gabriele" <jandl@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >No, sorry, that's stupid - the last 10% usually also take much time
> >because the other 90% don't make a complete product. [snip]
> I think I see a distinction here: the last 10% of finishing a normal
> software product, vs. the last, maybe, 2% of getting the BC right.
>
> I'd guess it's that last 2% that will take the most,.. (to quote
> osnews-poster Greg) "testicular fortitude".

I don't think so - binary compatibility is not that hard to achieve,
and every class is binary compatible all the time, because the header
just don't change.
The harder thing to do is functional compatibility; of course we have
many testing suites that try to make sure that it works the same. But
it's hard to make those complete - things like that BMenu::Window() has
different meanings in different contexts.

Adios...
   Axel.