[openbeos] Re: R2 Graphics Driver Model

  • From: DarkWyrm <bpmagic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 18:35:54 -0500

>How's the driver model in R2?
Haven't done anything with it, 2D or 3D. I'm envisioning merely extending the
2D driver model by adding more hook functions. I literally know almost
nothing about OpenGL, so I'm not going to touch the 3D stuff with a 10' pole.
If someone else were to take up that gauntlet, I certainly wouldn't mind.

>Can the graphics driver read some kind
>of a config file and make a decision from
>it's contents if it shoud grab that monitor
>or leave it alone?
>How many monitors will R2 support?
>Maybe MAXINT monitors.
>No, make it a signed int and let a negative number
>indicate that a monitor is not hooked by a driver
>(yet) or that the monitor is in powerdown mode.
Which monitor is a user's decision - which one to connect to the card. ;D
Seriously, though, the maximum monitors will probably be just like processors
- a hardcoded number which could easily be changed to support more. It'll
probably be set to a very reasonable 8. Personally, I can't see a need for
more than support for 3, but you never know. In any event, I will make sure
the user can set a particular monitor to the default.

--DarkWyrm