[openbeos] Re: R1 != R5

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <dos4gw@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 00:52:56 +0100

"Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>It should be instantly familiar and usable by any current BeOS user.
>Pre-exisiting apps should run correctly and as expected. But there is
>no requirement that it look *exactly* the same. At the very least, the
>deskbar logo must be changed to "OpenBeOS" or "OBOS" or something else.
>Additionally, we can change the icons -- preferably only in a small way
>so that they are familiar but somewhat updated. Perhaps a few other
>little interface tweaks here or there.

I think we *must* change the icons, as well as all images that are used
in any preference applications.
I don't think we can affort any copright problems, that we may get when
stealing property owned by Be or Palm.

All R5 header files have been provided free of charge, and I think without
strings attached, since Be was forced to provide them on their ftp server
as a result of making the libroot sourcecode (a port of the LGPL glibc)
public.

regards
Marcus