[openbeos] Re: Question about Jobs(Command Line)

  • From: Timothy Covell <timothy.covell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:10:48 -0400

On Wednesday 11 September 2002 10:27 am, you wrote:
> En réponse à "Paul \"Bo\" Peaslee" <h2oman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > > I was taking a look at Command Line Jobs (Preferences Team), looking
> >
> > for
> >
> > > something to work in and a big question ocurred me:
> > >
> > > some jobs (Command Line) were taken from GNU Packages (eg:bc) and
> >
> > some
> > were
> >
> > > implemented from scratch (eg:mount). I just don't undestand: why don't
> >
> > you
> >
> > > take all from GNU ? Or if you are restrictive about GPL, why did you
> >
> > take
> >
> > > some ?
>
> Because most can be compiled natively, but some commands rely on POSIX
> stuff BeOS doesn't have, or has but it behaves differently.
> bc is the best example of OS-independant command.
> on the other hand mount on UNIX plays with /etc/fstab, which BeOS
> doesn't have.

Nor /etc/mtab.  Also, look at "df".  The BeOS version isn't great, but
the Posix version doesn't know anything about Queries.   So, the
GNU tools would need a good bit of retooling.  "Mount" and "df" are
not worth the effort, IMHO (and Be's evidently).

--
timothy.covell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Unix/Linux Administrator