[openbeos] Re: Quality Assurance

  • From: "Simon Taylor" <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:20:35 GMT

> And while alpha/beta releases might not always be a good replacement
> for inhouse testing, it's pretty important to us, as we probably
> can't
> buy all the hardware that is out there (and even test them in all
> possible configurations). That's a special attribute of OS and driver
> development, though.

I was thinking along the same lines as niels about having a semi-
private release to people (experienced users) who are aware that it may
contain bugs, and who are keen to try and identify them and write good
bug reports so they can be fixed. People on this list, for instance,
have much more interest in making Haiku successful and would be much
more useful as testers than joe public. We are also more forgiving of
bugs as we're aware of the many years of effort that have gone into
creating Haiku. A poor quality first official public release should be
avoided at all costs.

> What I could imagine, though, is something you also mentioned in your
> text more or less: that a QA team will try to reproduce the bug, or
> resolve any issues in a bug report. Then they could either
> acknowledge
> the bug, or remove it. The developers would only get to the
> acknowledged and complete bug reports, so that they can start fix it
> right away. That would lower the requirements for the QA team quite a
> lot, and would still help the development process as well.

Yes, sounds like a good idea to me.

> Bye,
>    Axel.

Simon