[haiku] Re: Putting things in perspective

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 00:23:46 -0400

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Ari Haviv <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I hope that will be the case. Most people want to do the right thing. If
> they make a mistake the response should be "ok, you didn't know, these are
> our guidelines and we want to work it out with you to best serve the Haiku
> community."
> However, if the attitude is: "You are in violation of our guidelines. Why
> didn't you RTFM? Cease and desist!" then that will create enemies and they
> will cause all sorts of problems and haiku Inc will not be able to deal with
> them.

I'm pretty sure most of us involved with Haiku want to avoid the
latter. From what I have seen most people making "distros" are Haiku
fans and are making those distros out of some need. Because in general
Haiku is one cohesive system (unlike Linux distros which by design are
a combination of various projects) we would prefer to keep one main
Haiku system, and if people find a need to make distros we would want
to address the reasons they made them. In other words we are very open
to improve Haiku so that distros are not needed.

In the case of Karl's Senryu there was no really easy to download or
install Haiku system with a good selection of software, since we
hadn't yet made a release. Hopefully now with the R1/Alpha1 release
there is less of a need for Senryu. Once we have a good package
management system I think the need for Senryu will disappear
completely. Karl can then focus more of his time on Haikuware and his
other interests. Making and updating distros isn't trivial.

For Basho the need was for a system that was friendly to Japanese
users. Since Haiku is not yet localized and in fact does not currently
include a font for Japanese or a Japanese input method, this is pretty
understandable. Of course Basho could have been realized also with an
installable package or zip file that provided the VLGothic font, the
Anthy input method, Japanese keymaps, etc. Other configuration changes
and some of the additional software added in Basho weren't strictly
needed, and I think they were included because a whole new distro was
being created and those were easy to add at that point.

As a counterexample there is an installable system that adds support
for Chinese to Haiku called HaikuChinset, available here:
http://bebits.com/app/4615.

Either way I hope we can remove the need for Haiku distros in the
future by providing the needed features or software in Haiku itself.

--
Regards,
Ryan