[haiku] Putting things in perspective

  • From: Eddy Groen <eddyspeeder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 03:07:39 +0200

Hey everyone,

I'd like you to allow me to put todays emails in perspective, hoping to help
the "Jims and Franks" out there to understand what's happening here.

We have all seen a lot of communication going back and forth on the Basho
issue and the role of Haiku, Inc. Reading along, at one point I feared it
would develop in a heated discussion. Fortunately this did not happen and
Ryan should be commended for using it as a learning opportunity, concluding
that Haiku, Inc. should from now on aim for quick, adequate responses as a
unified body.

*** Although these discussions may seem annoying, harsh, unprofessional and
unnecessary to some, they are actually highly important and fruitful.
Especially at this point in Haiku's existence.* **

Remember that the Haiku project and Haiku, Inc. are a voluntary gathering of
people with one common goal: reviving the BeOS. An odd characteristic of
this crew is that its members are scattered all over the globe, most are
focused on development (software, documentation, etc.), leaving only a
handful of people responsible for shaping up Haiku as an organization, with
the immense task to create a single entity out of all these fragments.

OSNews commented quite aptly that Haiku tries to leave nothing to chance. A
stable alpha-release, documentation, rules, protocols; forasmuch is
feasible, attempts are made to cover these terrains and come across as a
serious cause. But since just a small core group carries this load, they
must use the "first things first" principle. This also means that currently,
entire "departments" within the organization are still fully absent.

With the status of Haiku being as such, mistakes cannot always be avoided.
Especially when Haiku increasingly gets "out there". What went down today is
that a problem has been identified, and a solution (with organizational
implications) has been reached. (In fact, it inspired Nicholas to further
refine this.) The speed with which this was done today shows all signs of a
healthy, "resilient" organization (just google for "resilience
engineering").

*** In short: the organizational team behind Haiku is small. Despite their
drive & ambition to render Haiku as professionally as possible, we must try
leniency whenever they do let something slip through their fingers.
Seemingly petty discussions like the one of today are important. ***

Eddy

*P.s.: I am *not at all* closely involved with the Haiku project. In sending
this email I only represent myself and my private opinions. Consider me just
a bystander overlooking the situation feeling compelled to write this email.
Just as I hope this will create some understanding among readers who got
tired of all the emails that hit their inbox, I also hope I am not invading
the area of those who *are* part of the organization. I intend to
contribute, not do away with the great job you are doing. Denoting Haiku a
"resilient organization" is about the greatest compliment I can give.*