[haiku] Re: Proposal: add "Stay on topic" clause to Mailing List Etiquette

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:42:04 -0500

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 16:49, scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> One clause that I believe is sorely missing from this etiquette is that of
>> staying on topic. I can think of at least two reasons for adopting such a
>> rule:
>>
>> 1) People sign up to a list to read about what's relevant to their specific
>> interest(s).
>>
>> 2) Going off-topic derails the discussion and this affects the productivity
>> of the list and makes it very inefficient.

> +1.  For updating and enforcing the mailing list rules.
> There was an attempt to move that topic to a new thread but then some
> still insisted on replying to the original thread continuing the
> off-topic discussion.  For me that's when I just started deleting
> emails from both threads without reading them.  I'm already on way too
> many lists and I am getting close to dropping this one.

-1. First, I agree that replying about different topics in the same
thread can be annoying.  However, I do not see the logic of it
'derailing the conversation' or 'affecting the productivity of the
list' -- especially when the content is appropriate for the list.
Those emails would still occur on the list, merely with a different
subject. At that point, what people decide to respond to is their own
business.

Next, if the etiquette were to be updated, I would much rather see
clauses that discourage emails that can be seen as inflammatory,
insulting, or as personal attacks. There is simply no place for such
emails. I believe that many would agree that such emails harm
productivity more.

--mmadia