[haiku] Re: Proposal: Trying to get BeIDE open sourced

  • From: kallisti5 <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 11:15:38 -0500

On 2017-07-18 05:53, miqlas wrote:

Hi Guys,

after talking a bit with Diver yesterday night, i got the idea to hunt
down the copyright holders of BeIDE, the good ol' Metrowerks
developement environment.

+1  I actually agree it's a good idea.

 1) There is never any harm in asking (nicely!)
2) While BeIDE likely needs a *lot* of work, it represents code to our API we might be able to use.

As others have pointed out, the chances are slim. Companies have a habit of getting licensed code to copy-paste into their products. The licenses on such code may not be owned by anyone mentioned in this thread. The copyright / code holder would legally need to remove this code before releasing any sources. (which would cost money + man hours, souring the idea)

But... It never hurts to ask, and the longer we wait to make these kinds of requests, the less of a chance of them working. (code gets buried in a zip file on some manager's desktop, that manager gets canned, nobody remembers they own BeIDE, etc)

I say go for it (in an unofficial capacity). I've successfully performed this dance a few times now on smaller apps (Game of life screensaver for example)

Template I normally follow (replace XXX!)

"
I'm a developer for the open-source Haiku operating system (http://haiku-os.org) which is managed by the 501(c)(3) Haiku, Inc (http://haiku-inc.org) not-for-profit.

XXX owns the copyrights for the old Metrowerks BeIDE application. Do you have any interest in donating the sources of this old application to the community? We could put the code to good use and bring it back to life under Haiku.

We would also ensure the copyrights persist to drive users to your company.
(BeIDE, generously donated to the Haiku community under the MIT license by XXX (link to company website)

Let me know if there is anything we can do to make such an arrangement work out.

Thanks for your time!

 -- XXX
"

If copyrighted code exists they don't have the licenses for, they could just quickly rip it out and someone could back-fill later.

 -- Alex