[openbeos] Re: Progress reports

  • From: "Euan Kirkhope" <euan.kirkhope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 10:59:02 +0100

2008/5/15 Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>:

> Waldemar Kornewald wrote:
>> An active, "hands dirty" community and frequent progress updates are
>> probably a great way to attract more developers, but of course you can
>> just be a "lean back" community and maybe get your R1 in 2014 (I actually
>> believe it'll be in 2012) and your oh-so-great R2 in 2025, so you can
>> sway in nostalgia while other people already use Minority Report-like
>> interfaces.
>
> Oh you mean the one where you need to take a break every 3 minutes because
> your arms hurt? And then need to take another break every 30 minutes
> because you need to sit down for a change? :-)
>
>> Or you can get your hands dirty and make Haiku a more attractive project
>> for new developers. Not that I'd believe that Haiku will ever innovate
>> into an interesting direction, but most of you seemed to care about this
>> tiny little irrelevant OS.
>>
>> ;)
>>
>> Well, I'm wasting my time here.
>
> :-) What if some people think that making these progress reports is not
> "relevant" enough to attract actual developers?
>
> Seriously, your attempt to motivate in all honour, I doubt a little that
> the make-feel-bad strategy will give good results. Instead, I believe that
> Haiku will have to do this for itself: We seriously need the first alpha.
> Unfortunately, there will not be many obvious "must have this" features on
> the surface. So Haiku will hopefully attract developers that can look
> deeper and see the potential and appreciate the lack of quite a few
> annoying things you have to live with when using the other operating
> systems. At least that is what motivates me and I think a few other Haiku
> devs. And there has got to be some minds who think alike in this huge
> world. If you don't agree with this, then please at least accept the fact
> that different people believe different things will help the project best.
> That's actually a good thing, since it will broaden the kind of attempts
> that people do make to help the project to more popularity. And there are
> quite a few people who help the project in various ways, not just
> developers. During my time with Haiku, I observe the support getting
> stronger. IMHO, the event with the single biggest impact will be the
> release of the alpha. I believe we should do that one as soon as Haiku is
> actually stable enough to do development work, regardless of how
> easy/smooth it is to install.
>
> Best regards,
> -Stephan

If anything the progress reports are more suited to non-developers.

My only opinion is that perhaps that the commit notes be more
descriptive and readable, especially for the non-developers then we
don't necessarily need to translate them. But then again I do have a
reputation at work for putting essays in change notes.  :)

Perhaps just for the juicy commits though.

Euan