[haiku] Re: Problem with cprivmsg.txt

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 23:06:55 +0100

On 2010-11-28 at 21:31:11 [+0100], scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2010/11/28 Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Miroslav Stimac "Miroslav Stimac" <Miroslav.Stimac@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Again, I get the general system error, but this time when
> >> copying the file RFC1459.txt, that is file 58 of 11922.
> >> This means that the problem is not a corrupt file system on the
> >> target partition. The CD-R source disc is also not the problem.
> >
> > I would scan the target partition for bad sectors, probably using
> > this http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
> > or some linux or windows fdisk. I don't think we have a Haiku
> > alternative yet.
> >
> > If it finds any bad sectors at all you should seriously consider
> > getting a replacement disk, and make sure you have backups of
> > important data.
>
> I doubt it has anything to do with the hard drive.  This seems to be
> very similar to the issue we had with the Alpha2 CD on some systems
> when burned to certain media.  Some CDs would work fine and others
> wouldn't, all burned from the same .iso file.
> I've reopened the ticket until a real fix is found.

The problem with the alpha 2 image was understood (the IOCache potentially
reading beyond the end of the CD) and fixed. It could, BTW, also be
worked-around by just appending 2 MB (or more) of arbitrary data to the ISO
image before burning it. Instead of reopening the old ticket, creating a
new one would be appreciated. A test with the data-appending work-around
would be nice, too.

CU, Ingo