[haiku] Re: Problem with cprivmsg.txt

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 12:31:11 -0800

2010/11/28 Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Miroslav Stimac "Miroslav Stimac" <Miroslav.Stimac@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> Again, I get the general system error, but this time when
>> copying the file RFC1459.txt, that is file 58 of 11922.
>> This means that the problem is not a corrupt file system on the
>> target partition. The CD-R source disc is also not the problem.
>
> I would scan the target partition for bad sectors, probably using
> this http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
> or some linux or windows fdisk. I don't think we have a Haiku
> alternative yet.
>
> If it finds any bad sectors at all you should seriously consider
> getting a replacement disk, and make sure you have backups of
> important data.
>
> /Jonas.

I doubt it has anything to do with the hard drive.  This seems to be
very similar to the issue we had with the Alpha2 CD on some systems
when burned to certain media.  Some CDs would work fine and others
wouldn't, all burned from the same .iso file.
I've reopened the ticket until a real fix is found.  Perhaps try
installing to another PC using that same CD and see what happens, and
also try burning to a different brand of CDR and try installing that
onto more than one PC and see how that goes.  Keep track of what Haiku
version you are using in each case and attach your results to the
reopened ticket.
-scottmc