[openbeos] Re: Printer support

  • From: "Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:49:19 -0700 (PDT)

> A new printer could be had for $200, laser that speaks ps. This is
> what
> you want. ink jet printers are a loss leader, the companies that sell
> them
> make up the loss in selling ink. You will get your money back on a
> laserprinter in one year. This is not to mention the time saved in
> configuring it: time == money.

I use a laser printer at home (networked, actually), and agree that in
general, for most uses, they are quite superior.

However, (mid-through-high-quality) inkjets generally handle
photo-quality printing much better than all but the best lasers...

And even the < $100 inkjets are generally in color.  Color lasers are
still a bit more costly.

Of course, if you do a LOT of color printing, then the lower price per
page may make a color laser worthwhile.

> For a ps printer, if it needs to be replaced, you can just replace
> it, no
> need to install any new drivers at all if you put it in same place.
> This
> is assuming you are sending it good ol raw ps.
>
> Ink jet printers are a scam and a waste, and so you should speak w/
> your
> wallet about how you feel about this.

See above note.  Cheap inkjets certainly are, but some of the better
ones from Epson, etc. can handle photos quite well.

And I do agree that lasers are the superior technology.  Particularly
when using *NIX systems, but with others also.  Drivers are easy to find...

=====
=======
Frank D. Engel, Jr.
Please note my new address: fde101@xxxxxxxxx