[haiku] Re: Preinstalling Haiku on new computers.

  • From: Rybin Valeriy <walera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:44:30 +0400

> Just wondering, how many computers does your company produce in a year?
Our company produce ~1000 notebook in a month with DOS only.
> Haiku is getting updated several times per day, how do you plan to support >
> that?
Support our factory or end users?
> Haiku is MIT licensed so you are free to preinstall it
We need of document about it (Agreement) for our police :-)
> Have you tried installing Haiku onto them yet?  If so can you post the output
> of listdev so we can see what devices are in it? (in terminal type listdev,
> then copy/paste that into an email) That might help in seeing what > hardware
> is working and what's not for that model.
Yes, I try it. In any case: Haiku functionality more then DOS... Most currently
preinstalling Haiku on low end notebooks on SiS chipset. For example listdev
from one candidate:

device Multimedia controller (Audio device) [4|3|0]
  vendor 1039: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
  device 7502: Azalia Audio Controller

device Mass storage controller (IDE interface) [1|1|8f]
  vendor 1039: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
  device 1183: SATA Controller / IDE mode

device Network controller (Ethernet controller) [2|0|0]
  vendor 1039: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
  device 0191: 191 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

device Serial bus controller (USB Controller, EHCI) [c|3|20]
  vendor 1039: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
  device 7002: USB 2.0 Controller

device Serial bus controller (USB Controller, OHCI) [c|3|10]
  vendor 1039: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
  device 7001: USB 1.1 Controller

device Serial bus controller (USB Controller, OHCI) [c|3|10]
  vendor 1039: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
  device 7001: USB 1.1 Controller

device Mass storage controller (IDE interface) [1|1|8a]
  vendor 1039: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
  device 5513: 5513 [IDE]

device Bridge (ISA bridge) [6|1|0]
  vendor 1039: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
  device 0968: SiS968 [MuTIOL Media IO]

device Display controller (VGA compatible controller, VGA controller) [3|0|0]
  vendor 1039: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
  device 6351: 771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter

device Bridge (PCI bridge, Normal decode) [6|4|0]
  vendor 1039: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
  device 0003: SiS AGP Port (virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge)

device Bridge (Host bridge) [6|0|0]
  vendor 1039: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
  device 0671: 671MX