[haiku] Re: Preinstalling Haiku on new computers.

  • From: Rybin Valeriy <walera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 01:51:33 +0400

Hi, All

> Do your customers actually use DOS for anything? Or is it just a way for them
> to avoid paying for a Windows license? (In case they want to install some
> Linux distro or already have a Windows license?)

It is unbelievably but I know - once our repair center get notebook from
customer with our DOS as secondary OS :-) 99.999999% of customers remove DOS
and install Windows (~95%) or Linux (~5%) immediately.

> Worst case,they will simply do what they planned on doing anyways, which as
> to wipe the harddrive and install whatever OS they planned on installing.

Yes. I think ~90% remove Haiku and forget Haiku as OS... But some customers
will find information about this OS in Internet and may by leave Haiku as
secondary OS. We must provide to end user distributive with Haiku. BTW we
provide to all our customer (independently preinstalled OS as bonus) DOS as
bootable DVD disk with drivers. I can update this distributive on our factory
every week. But for it Haiku Inc. must fix bootable CD problem. After read this
discussion I think better solution today - add Haiku on our Driver DVD disk for
all notebooks models. Without warranty, as demo, LiveCD. It is acceptable?
After fix LAN problem on SiS models we can preinstall Haiku on HDD.

> But you should definitely add additional notice about the expected quality of
> the pre-alpha Haiku at any product offerings/descriptions.

Yes of course.

> If you really need an additional document and our MIT license is not enough,
> then I am sure we can help you. But you would most likely have to explain
> specifically what all needs to be mentioned in this document.

It is good! I will speak about it with our lawyer.

> > This driver http://revolf.free.fr/beos/oss-beos-v4.2-081213.zip
> > supported this audio.

> I still have some things to fix on OSS but it should be usable I suppose. >
> Did you try a native driver yet ?

No. I not try native driver.

> Maybe you as an OEM could lobby SiS to get those specs if they aren't
> available yet ?

I can try it... but not sure...

> It would be nice if you could contribute a VESA fix :)

Hm. I ask about it BIOS engineers.

> Those are likely ACPI buttons, should be easy to add support for.

I think it is very small problem.

Thank you for this discussion!