[haiku] Re: Preinstalling Haiku on new computers.

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 21:55:45 +0200

Hi,

first of all - thanks for considering to install Haiku on your laptops,
that's pretty cool!

On 2009-04-23 at 21:27:06 [+0200], Rybin Valeriy <walera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > what's the typical end user of these?  Are your customers mostly
> > business or home users, or schools?
> Typical end user - home users, students.

As I understand, you want to replace the DOS version of your laptop with
Haiku. Do your customers actually use DOS for anything? Or is it just a way
for them to avoid paying for a Windows license? (In case they want to
install some Linux distro or already have a Windows license?) I am having a
hard time trying to imagine that you have 1000 people per month who
actually have a use for DOS. If it works like I imagine it does, then these
costumers just have a nice surprise when they are greeted by the Haiku
desktop. Worst case,they will simply do what they planned on doing anyways,
which was to wipe the harddrive and install whatever OS they planned on
installing.

Anyways, our license allows you to do what you want with Haiku, as long as
you give proper attribution. Which is taken care of by Haiku itself. If you
don't change the "distribution" (like if you use a pre-alpha image), then
you do not need to take any additional steps. Otherwise you need to follow
the distro guidelines.

The other question is whether you "should" do this before we have declared
even the first alpha release. I know that Haiku can run pretty well (I'm
using it full-time now). But it can also just freeze up or corrupt the
users data. If you use the pre-alpha image, then the Welcome package is
installed and there will be a link on the Desktop with the appropriate
warnings. But you should definitely add additional notice about the
expected quality of the pre-alpha Haiku at any product
offerings/descriptions.

If you really need an additional document and our MIT license is not
enough, then I am sure we can help you. But you would most likely have to
explain specifically what all needs to be mentioned in this document.

Best regards,
-Stephan