[openbeos] Re: Preferences/File Help

  • From: "Cedric Degea" <cdegea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 20:34:17 +0100

Hi,
if the following describes your view of the client/server paradigm...

>I can't agree with you here. Example - BDirectory creates a new file.
>I would *HOPE* that functionality is not in the shared library, but is
in the
>FS. :-) Which means that it is in the kernel. If you call the kernel a
server for BQuery,
>you have to call it a server for most of these classes.

..then (and to get back to the original point) you might
want to do the same for the so-called "Preference Kit", that is,
make it a "front-end" to the kernel functions open(), close(),
read(), write() and consider that it's talking to a "server" and
everyone will be in agrement.

Amazing how we can read excellent posts and more... debatable ones
from the very same person in the same day?

[weight of servers and libraries]
Not even close since some of the libraries count in the
client/server grand scheme of things (quite a bit of libbe.so
consists of client requests to app_server or to the
registrar or... etc]
I'm not sure this issue is so paramount that I should
contribute to beat it up some more, but well here's my 2 roubles.

cd. (happy happy joy joy to find so many mails -- you had
started strong to moderate Michael, too bad you lost you
breath along the run :-)..

PS. good to see jam used now. I'll refrain from withdrawing
my "won't take suggestions" criticisement only when even more
important matters are settled though ;)  (sorry for the
off-the-list reference).

--
http://cdegea.free.fr/ | BeDev E-16870
"One thing to rule them all" -- UserFriendly.org, 20011021