[openbeos] Re: Preferences/File Help

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:51:42 -0600

> Does anyone think that it would be of value to try to
> get a list of symbols(nm) in the kernel and library files
> or is this getting to close to reverse engineering for
> some of you?
>
> And going even further, has anyone tried to disassemble
> the files?    (The kernel, BTW, yields little information,
> at least to my novice eyes.)

I've looked at all of these. Some things can be useful (I learned how
to use some of the termios functions from the BSerialPort assembler).
But there usually isn't much point. The only ino you'd get is
undocumented APIs, and there are precious few of those that need to be
implemented. Besides, I would point out again that Be's libroot was
open source. We hardly need to disassemble that.
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

The longer I am out of office, the more infallible I appear to myself.
                -- Henry Kissinger