[openbeos] Re: Preferences/File Help

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 20:41:34 -0600 (CST)

> >Now looking at the list I see no reason to take a server for a
> > BMessage<->XML converter.
>
> Why?
>
> >P.S. Why don't you make everything a server??? ;-)
>
> Be pretty much did, as far as I can tell.

With all due respect, are you insane? Most of the OS is not a server.
Large quantities are shared libraries or seperate applications (Tracker
is *not* a server). I just pulled up the handy-dandy BeBook here. Let's
go through, shall we?

The Application Kit- 2/13 classes implemented remotely (BApplication
and BRoster)
The Device Kit- 0/2 classes implemented remotely
The Game Kit- 2/5 classes implemented remotely (BDirectWindow and
BWindowScreen)
The Interface Kit- 4/45 classes implemented remotely (BView, BWindow,
BPrintJob, and BScrollbar)
The Kernel Kit- 3/4 function sets implemented remotely (areas, ports,
and semaphores)
The Mail Kit- 0.5/1.5 classes implemented remotely (the C mail API
counts here)
The Media Kit- Don't know. I am not familiar with it. I suspect ~ 30%
remote
The Midi Kit- ditto
The Network Kit- 2/4 classes/function sets implemented remotely
(sockets/BNetEndpoint)
The Storage Kit- 1/18 classes implemented remotely (BQuery)
The Support Kit- 0/10 classes implemented remotely
The Translation Kit- 0/4 classes implemented remotely

Grand Total- 14.5/106.5 classes/function sets implemented remotely

Only slightly more than 10% of the Be API is implemented in a server. I
would hardly call this most everything.
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Think twice before speaking, but don't say "think think click click".