[openbeos] Re: Practical File System Design PDF distribution

  • From: "Raymond C. Rodgers" <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 10:49:13 -0700

Jorge Mare wrote:
Hi,

We received an email from Elsevier Publishing asking whether we have
permission to distribute the Practical File System Design PDF that we
have on our website (the BFS related book written by Dominic
Giampaolo).

http://www.haiku-os.org/legacy-docs/practical-file-system-design.pdf

I do not know if we ever got permission from anyone, or how the
decision was made to post this document on the server. But to avoid
any problems, I will remove the file from the server for now and link
to Dominic's page instead.

Michael: CCing you in case you know something about this.

If anyone has any insight on this, please let me know. I would like to
reply to Elsevier as soon as possible. Also, would anyone here have
Dominic's email?

Thanks,

Jorge

Hey Jorge,
You may want to have them take the issue up with Dominic. He posted the PDF to his web site a long time ago, when the book went out of print. It's been available for free on the web, bit torrent, and other means for a very long time. That doesn't necessarily mean that Haiku has the right to post it, but it should clear Haiku Inc. of any wrong doing.

Raymond