[haiku] Re: Powerbook

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 16:54:00 -0600

On 02/19/2013 7:59 am, Stephan Aßmus wrote:
Am 19.02.2013 12:35, schrieb Mattia Tristo:
I own a PowerBook 12" G4 and i would like to install there Haiku for
PPC, is the project still active?

i have installed Ubuntu once upon a time and it could boot, while haiku
in which state is ? Haiku PPC has a mailing list?

The Haiku port to any PPC platform is not in a state where you could
even remotely think about installing and using it. If you were to get
it installed and running at all, it would boot as far as dropping into
the kernel debugger early on, since that is just how far the port is
completed. Crucial drivers have not yet been ported, so the kernel
cannot access the boot disk, IIRC.

I was working on it for a while... but every piece of Apple PowerPC hardware I got my hands on was failing in some way or form (bad caps, solder joint issues on GPU's, random other failures). Pair the hardware issues, extremely high cost to repair, and lack of any new consumer priced PowerPC hardware and I
lost interest.

So I blame Apple and their crappy hardware :)

The port isn't *that* far behind... but it definitely needs some love before any kind of user environment loads. (last I checked we needed some kind of
PowerPC PCI bus drivers / knowledge)

 -- Alex