[openbeos] Re: Ports

  • From: DarkWyrm <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 15:23:28 -0400

Nicholas Blachford wrote:
Is anyone considering or looking into an ARM port of haiku?
None that I'm aware of.

On a similar note, how easy / difficult / impossible is it to change Haiku's UI?
It depends on what part of the UI you're referring to. If you're referring to adapting Haiku's desktop UI to, say, an Eee PC, I doubt that really any changes would be required. To go smaller to an embedded device (PalmPilot, etc) it would probably just involve a new window decorator and a replacement for Deskbar and Tracker.

Also, how flexible it is in terms of devices that may have a keyboard or touch screen but no mouse?
That should just be a matter of the input_server add-ons which are available. The input_server makes it easy to swap between an on-screen keyboard and a hardware one, for example. The rest of the system doesn't really care whether you're using a mouse, touchpad, or whatever.

This could probably be a nice niche market for Haiku, considering its low hardware requirements, if someone had sufficient interest in writing for the hardware. The only problem is that the current developers are concentrating on the alpha 1 for x86. Someone new would probably need to step up for work on it to begin, and I don't know the details of Haiku's kernel-level architecture, but I have a feeling that there'd be more than a little work required to get it running on ARM.

--DarkWyrm