[openbeos] Re: Porting BFS to Windows

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:55:22 +0200 CEST

Joseph Galbraith <galb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't know, but I suspect that this highly asynchronous
> model isn't handled by the existing code base for linux /
> BeOS, and that introducing it would account for much of
> the estimated time.
>
> I also suspect it would make it pretty difficult to write
> a BeOS-fs emulation layer.
>
> Unless I'm utterly wrong about filesystem I/O being pretty
> much synchronous for linux and BeOS?

BeOS device and file system I/O is synchronous only. But since a file
system must be thread-safe and reentrant in BeOS anyway, having an
asynchronous "backend" would probably be not that hard to support.
I expect the problematic fields in the cache and VM area, although I
can't really say since I haven't seen the Windows API. But porting to/
from Linux is probably harder than it is to port to/from Windows.

Bye,
   Axel.