[openbeos] Porting BFS to Windows

  • From: "Mikael Jansson" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 12:32:46 +0200 (CEST)

Hi guys,

Been keeping this in the back of my head for a while, and now that I saw
the OSNews posting <http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=11506> about
the Ext2 driver for Windows <http://www.fs-driver.org/>, the thought
popped up again.

It's $109 for the IFS Kit
<http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/ifskit/default.mspx>, which would
be quite easy to raise.  Has anyone had experience with Windows driver
programming?  Would it be plausible to port OpenBFS (minimum read-access,
preferedly write-access) to Windows?

Another thought of mine is to keep my home volume on an external (USB)
disk split up in a tiny FAT16 volume, basically storing BFS drivers for
Linux and Windows, another small BeOS system volume, and the rest of the
disk my BFS Home.  That way I'd always have access to my data from Windows
and Linux systems, and if I had full access to a computer, I could even
boot BeOS off that and do whatever work I'd like to do, completely
disconnected from the host computer's storage.

So, who knows the nitty-gritty details about Windows kernel land?

Regards,
-- Mikael