[openbeos] Re: Please stop this nonsense.

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 20:29:10 +0100

> It's really really hard to beat OpenBeOS (look at OpenOffice.org)

But it is necessary. BeOS is a brand name and brand names are worth
lots of money because they are important marketing tools. Be, Inc
invested a lot into building this brand name. Palm purchased Be, so
they now own the rights to the name BeOS, and they probably paid
quite a bit for it. Since the name OpenBeOS is clearly derived from
BeOS, Palm could sue (or just threaten to sue) Michael Phipps for
trademark infringement. Unless Palm licenses the use of the name
BeOS to Michael Phipps, we cannot use it. (On the other hand,
trademarks must be defended. If you can prove Palm has known about
OpenBeOS for quite some time and did nothing about it, they may lose
their right to the trademark and we could claim it. That, however,
is not something I'd bet on.)

--Matthijs