[openbeos] Re: Pentium 4, newer AMD support

  • From: "Erik Jakowatz" <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 09:12:38 -0800

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that *drivers* could easily turn
out to be the big issue in porting to other platforms, yes?  Sure,
porting the kernal is quite a bit of work, but once that's done you've
got to have display drivers, network drivers, SCSI drivers, sound card
drivers, etc., etc.

None of which is to say that we shouldn't (eventually) port to
everything we can get our hands on. ;)

>--- Michael Lloyd Lee <mlk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> [snip]
>> On this note, what about support of other processors? Any plans to
support
>> Apples again?
>
>This has already been discussed here -- I'll put an item on it
>into the next faq update.
>
>As I understand it (not being a kernel person), R1 will very likely
>be x86 only. On the bright side, Travis G. already has NewOS running
>on Dreamcast (going on info from his site http://newos.sourceforge.net
)
>with planned ports for:
>
>iMac - G3/G4 based Apple products
>SGI Indy - MIPS R5000 based Indy in 32- and 64-bit mode -- in progress,
boots

>Sun Blade 100 - UltraSPARC IIe in 64-bit mode
>DEC Multia - Alpha
>Amiga 3000 - M68030
>Atari Falcon - M68030
>
>The other, upper levels of OpenBeOS (all c++?) will be inherently
>cross platform. Such is the power of modular software. Muahahaha.
>ahem.
>
>Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this so I can get
>it right in the faq. Thanks!
>
>---j

Data is not information, and information is not knowledge: knowledge is
not understanding, and understanding is not wisdom.
        - Philip Adams