[openbeos] Re: Pentium 4, newer AMD support

  • From: John Gabriele <john_m_gabriele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 09:20:58 -0800 (PST)

--- Michael Lloyd Lee <mlk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [snip]
> On this note, what about support of other processors? Any plans to support
> Apples again?

This has already been discussed here -- I'll put an item on it
into the next faq update.

As I understand it (not being a kernel person), R1 will very likely
be x86 only. On the bright side, Travis G. already has NewOS running
on Dreamcast (going on info from his site http://newos.sourceforge.net )
with planned ports for:

iMac - G3/G4 based Apple products
SGI Indy - MIPS R5000 based Indy in 32- and 64-bit mode -- in progress, boots

Sun Blade 100 - UltraSPARC IIe in 64-bit mode
DEC Multia - Alpha
Amiga 3000 - M68030
Atari Falcon - M68030

The other, upper levels of OpenBeOS (all c++?) will be inherently
cross platform. Such is the power of modular software. Muahahaha.
ahem.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this so I can get
it right in the faq. Thanks!

---j

Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com