[haiku] Re: Packgagemanagement Enhancedment

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 21:45:10 +0200

On 09/23/2014 09:00 PM, Stephan Aßmus wrote:
Information about supported mime-types would be added to packages using
the mentioned website. It is a collaboration platform for exactly this
purpose (it is not meant to be a web-based mirror of what HaikuDepot
does). I am planning to write an article introducing it more formally.

The information about supported types and, if included, MIME sniffer rules are already included in the package content itself. It wouldn't be complicated to automatically add the info to the package meta data. It would then also be available in the repository data and thus on the client side.

Alternatively the web app could extract the data from the package content and provide it to HaikuDepot via its API. Which solution to choose is mainly a question of whether we consider the data relevant on the command line.

BTW, this is somewhat similar to the feature that upon entering an unknown command on the command line, the package that provides the command is suggested for installation. We do already have all the needed information for that one, but no one has implemented the shell side of things yet.

CU, Ingo