[haiku] Re: Package Manager for Haiku

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 08:14:57 +0000

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 4:41 AM, Nick<tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I took the time to put together a simple, GUI package manager
> for use on Haiku.
>
> If you feel adventurous then you can try it out at:
> http://www.haikuware.com/directory/view-details/development/app-installation/packager
>
> Best to try it with a clean system with OpenSSL installed to see
> how it works.
>
> I named it Packager.  I don't have much time to advance it
> any further right now but will try to get back to it once I can.
> I hope you guys like it and that it gives Haiku greater visibility
> as an alternative OS.
>
> Regards,

Looks interesting.  The GUI seems to be much larger than it needs to
be though.  Maybe you can read zip files and check for an
.OptionalPackageDescription file and use the info in there to show in
the installer, and to know where to extract it to.  We could probably
add one or two more fields to that files if that would be helpful.
Also your packages.dbz will be out of date rather quickly, is there a
plan to have the program go online to look for an updated packages.dbz
file?  I see you listed it as MIT license, are you going to put it up
on OSDrawer.net or similar site?
-scottmc